Kelly Tarlton's SEA LIFE Aquarium is Auckland's leading school excursion venue, with thousands of students visiting each year!
Antarctica & Explorers:
- Be immersed in the learning opportunities of Kelly Tarlton's. Highlights of a trip to Kelly Tarlton's include getting up close to NZ's only colony of Antarctic penguins - the majestic King and playful Gentoos. You will identify with the extremes of the Antarctic continent, and retrace the footsteps of intrepid Antarctic explorers.
- Come face to face with thousands of marine creatures including stingrays, sharks, octopus and more. Your trip may include a free lesson session for your class or group, and a self-guided tour through the world of Kelly Tarlton's SEA LIFE Aquarium. Pre-visit teacher resources are available, and we welcome teachers to visit us for a pre-visit free of charge!
Oceans and Sustainability:
- Discover what is happening in our world's oceans regarding acidification, plastic pollution and overfishing. Explore ways you could advocate for the wonderful marine creatures you can see at Kelly Tarlton's SEA LIFE Aquarium.
Business and Tourism (Secondary/Tertiary):
- For the past 30 years. from a small family run operation to now being part of a large global organisation, Kelly Tarlton's has welcomed and excited over 11.5 million guests. We can offer practical insights into the workings of a changing business to meet multiple assessment criteria for your Tourism or Business and Recruitment related topics.
Try our famous Sleepover option! Bring your group for a magical night at Kelly Tarlton's where you can observe for yourselves whether fish close their eyes when they sleep, or if sharks snore! These exciting nights run from 7:00pm to approximately 9:00am the next day and include supper and breakfast, Stingray Encounter, Fish feeding, educational presentations and more!
If your school hasn't experienced this yet, now is the time to book.
Should you require a classroom session the Education Team will work with you to ensure your curriculum objectives are met.
Pre-Schools, Schools, and Holiday Programmes are all eligible for heavily discount Education Rates - plus a free adult supervisory allowance!
General Info About School Excursions
On display is a large and comprehensive collection of aquatic life, and Antarctic Penguins, housing hundreds of animals representing many different species.
Kelly Tarlton's comprises of the Antarctic Ice Adventure with a new Penguin viewing room and a replica of Scott's Hut. Stingray Bay features giant stingrays, the NIWA interactive room has games and activities, Shark Tank and Oceanarium tank with thousands of native fish, Fish Gallery hosts tropical varieties, Eels and Crays, and the Seahorse Kingdom showcases weird and wonderful Seahorse species.
School buses are not permitted to enter the Kelly Tarlton's carpark in the daytime. Unless specifically told otherwise, your bus stop for dropoff and pickup is located outside Hammerheads, 19 Tamaki Drive. All self guided visits must enter the aquarium through the main entrance.
Authentic Themed Displays
The displays at Kelly Tarlton's allow the students to appreciate the diversity of New Zealand and the Southern Ocean's unique aquatic habitats and their fascinating fauna and flora.
Kelly Tarlton's offers educational visits for students from pre-school through to tertiary level. Our qualified teachers possess in-depth knowledge of their subject matter and are happy to design lessons to meet your particular curriculum needs. Lessons are based on sound educational principles, and designed to enhance the overall experience enjoyed at Kelly Tarlton's.
Special group rates apply for school bookings.
ALL NEW - SELF GUIDED RESOURCES
We have an exciting new range of resources to use during your visit to the aquarium.
- Amazing Oceans (3-4 years)
- Conservation (5 - 11 years)
- Habitats and Adaptations (5 - 11 years)
- Foodchains and Ecosystems (5 - 11 years)
- Behaviour (5 - 11 years)
Contact us when making your self guided booking and we will send these out with your visit documents.